Locations: Orlando (FL)
Indication: Alzheimer’s dementia
Sponsor: Avanir Pharmaceuticals
PI: Christopher M Chappel, MD
Intervention/Treatment: AVP-786 or placebo
- Have a diagnosis of probably Alzheimer’s disease.
- Have moderate to severe agitation that interferes with their daily life.
- Have a caregiver who spends a minimum of 2 hours per day, 4 days per week with them and is willing and able to comply with all study procedures.
- Administering (giving) the study drug
- Not administering any prohibited medications during the study
- Attending all study visits with the participant (must be the same caregiver at all visits)
Compensation: You may be compensated for your time and participation.
About: This study is testing an investigational drug for agitation associated with Alzheimer’s dementia. Pharmaceutical companies use clinical research studies like this one to learn more about investigational drugs before they are made available to the public. Study volunteers can help us in this important research. Examples of some easily identifiable agitated behaviors are:
- Throwing things
- Constant unwarranted requests for attention or help
- Pacing/aimless wandering
- Hitting others or self
- Pushing people
- Hurting self or others
- Tearing things or destroying property